Saturday, February 2, 2008

Almost

I performed surgery. Wow. It was the last day of my surgery rotation, and we were doing a lipoma excision. Basically, we were taking out a benign, fatty tumor. Usually, I get to retract things or control the camera, or suction or hold intestines (see last post). But this time, the doc handed me the scalpel and said, "Here, take this." And I thought, that's weird. And then he let me perform the whole surgery! From the initial incision to the final sutures. Ah! It was amazing. The PA later told me that I've officially performed more surgery than he has as a member of staff. Wow. I love surgery. It almooooost, makes me want to go to Med School and become a surgeon. Almost.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

why not?

nance said...

4 years of med school and 5 years of residency just isn't that appealing... do you know how old I'd be when I got done??