Wednesday, June 13, 2007

action

This evening I was driving back to Friend. The sun had set about 30 minutes prior and it was kind of cloudy so it was pretty much dark. I was driving on hwy 6 in between Crete and Friend as I noticed the most beautiful thing. Across the field to my right was hundreds of fireflies that were lighting... there were so many of them, and they went on for miles like that! Imagine how much action they are all getting! Oh, and did you know that fireflies are the only light source where more than 90% of the energy to make the light is actually put out in light. Light bulbs are inefficient at about 10% of the energy towards light, the rest of the energy is put off in heat.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

is that fluorescent light bulbs or regular? i would like to bottle up some fireflies but then they would die. but they are cool...

Daniel said...

I remember once, Wendy and I were camping north of Kansas City in Missouri and there was a causeway type thing next to a lake. And on the side of the causeway opposite the lake was a lowland area with some thicker foliage, and the fire flies looked so neat down there. I thought what a neat picture it would be to take a time lapse photo with all their little light trails.

Chrs Johnson said...

oh nancy:) i remembering seeing that same stuff last summer driving, cool stuff, and yes, lots of action =D Hope everything is going good. later.

Greg said...

I miss the Nebraskan proliferation of fireflies. We have a few here, but nothing like the swarms from down there.