Monday, January 19, 2009

anger and frustration

My patients were horrible today. This one in particular:

Admitted at 2am, then complaining that she hadn't been yet (it was 10am)

Then... when I did see her she was so irate that they used the F word.
would not listen to anything I had to say
Crying, yelling, irritable
Even though her condition is serious refuses medication because it causes weight gain. (if taken for long periods of time) (she's not fat)
angry because she couldn't smoke
didn't want a patch
family irritable and angry
still wouldn't listen to what I had to say.
Would shake their heads and be defensive the whole interview.
Expect me to know all of her symptoms even though she hadn't told me
after they talked to me, patient left AMA (against medical advice) before I could do any discharge orders.

Stayed in the hospital less than 18 hours

Has condition that is fairly serious.

So frustrating.

Won't stop smoking even though it worsens her condition.

Bah.

She'll be back. This next time she will probably need surgery taking out a section of her colon.

and on top of it all, it was a charity case to begin with

No comments: