Sunday, May 20, 2007

Kolkata, India

After traveling for 3 days in various modes of transportation I had found my ankles to have dissappeared from the overwhelming dependant edema. I am not old. I should not have these logs for ankles. I don't have heart failure either! What's the deal?! Thankfully, my cankles (calves that extend into my ankles) have gone.

I have been volunteering at an orphanage for handicapped children here in Kolkata. It is heartwrenching work. There are some children that are just mentally handicapped, but most are both. You can see how frustrating it is for some of them to just not be able to communicate. I especially took to a little girl, Ramika I think her name is, who follows you with her eyes wherever you go.
Feeding time is the worst. Feeding children who mentally are not there is very challenging. They fight you. How ethical is it for you to force feed them? But how ethical is it for you to let them die because their mental function tells them they'd rather not swallow?
Gotta run,



Things to blog about in the future...
- Free food
- Potters for Peace
- Taj Majal
- HEAT
- Springs of Life Orphanage
- Mafia
- Temple/
- Shopping for Punjabi's
- House of the Dying

No comments: